Sunday, July 20, 2008

Happy Birthday Peanut


Yesterday was my sweet sons birthday! He would have been three years old. Sometimes when I am missing him I try to imagine what he would be like had he been able to live a little longer. Last night we spent some time talking about some of our favorite memories of our little peanut. What a fun experience to think of all the things that made him so special! One of the things that Emee said was that she loved that he always smiled, and laughed at the word "BOTH". Hannah said she loved reading to him on the floor, and having him play with her hair. Eric said that one of his favorite memories of Caleb was hiding in closets with him and jumping out to scare mom, which he totally loved. I think one of my most favorite memories of Caleb was when he and I were alone, and he would just snuggle up to me as close as he could and fall asleep. There are so many things that we loved about our little man, but I think that most of all he taught us how to love. He taught us what it meant to completely forgive, and to look past the things that sometimes cloud our lives, and to enjoy every tiny thing that life has to offer. Peanut made us all strive to be better, and as we talked about him last night, we all felt like we needed to rededicate ourselves to those things that matter, to become more like him so that someday we too will have the joy of being with him again! As I write this I can't help but cry. The neat thing is that I am not crying that gut wrenching cry, you know the kind where you heart feels like it is breaking, but the sweet cry of knowing how blessed we are, and how honored we were to have him in our lives even for a short time. I miss my sweet son, and what a wonderful time it was to celebrate our love for him, so Happy Birthday son, we miss you!!
P.S. If you would like you are welcome to share a thought about my little man, just click on the comment button below this post!

5 comments:

Carrie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carrie said...

April, your post brought tears to my eyes as well. I was privileged to meet Caleb. Thanks for sharing this. It's always good to get reminders of how blessed we are. I needed this one.

(Sorry about the deleted comment. That was mine...Ooops)

Annie said...

Ok, April I am crying my eyes out as I sit and read this sweet tribute to your beautiful son. My favorite memory of your son is my only memory but,I know I will have the chance to make more with him someday. It was when you brought him to church and i could not keep my eyes off him. He was so beautiful and perfect. I just wanted to hold him and kiss him and just take in his presence. I will never forget that day. For that one hour I was with him I will be forever a better person.

I am so grateful for your friendship!! I know we were suppost to become friends. The Lord has really blessed me by putting you in my life. love you guys!!

ps i hope I spelled everything right through my tears!!

Laura said...

April, I am so lucky to have known Caleb. It was so fun when we would just sit with him on the grass in the backyard while the kids swam. He was so happy as long as his mom was close. I also loved it when you would pat his back. It was so funny that you could just pick him up and give him a few "wacks" and he would calm right down.

The Stokes Family said...

We miss you little nort. I am so sorry Brugger family that you only had a sort time with him. He was the sweetest. Just remember he loves BOTH. Love ya Misty