Sunday, December 7, 2008

Update on April

This post is not by April, but she asked me to take over for a short while. This is Annie Sager, friend of April the Great!!! I spoke with April on the phone today for over an hour. She asked that I relay parts of our conversation to each of you via this blog, so here we go! ( BTW - per April's request, if you have any questions please direct them to me at funlittleboys@live.com )

Here is the timeline of events:

Wednesday: Diagnosed at Boise St Lukes as having "Cardiomyopathy and Congestive Heart Failure". The doctors sent her home and with instructions to come back in the morning for more testing.

Thursday: More testing was done and she was sent home again.

Friday: April was not able to breathe normally and Eric took her to the hospital. That morning she was admitted to the Critical Care Unit of St Lukes.

Friday afternoon: Doctors began discussion of transfering April to University of Utah Hospital to be under the care of cardiology specialists.

Saturday 1:00 a.m.: April was "Life-Flighted" to Utah Univ Hospital, Eric of course accompanied her on the trip.
Saturday afternoon: Eric's mother arrives in town to stay with the girls at their home. Life is proceeding as normal as can be for the girls.

Sunday: April and Eric are in the best care possible. When April labors to breathe, the doctors are able to relieve the symptom quickly and ease her pain. Eric has fresh clothes and toiletries thanks to his sister who drove to SLC from Provo. Eric has also fashioned a bed out of two chairs, an ottoman and a dinner tray (watch out MacGuyver!)

Monday: The team of cardiologists at Utah Univ Hospital will meet to catheterize April's heart and continue extensive testing.

April asked that I write the following so she can remember the sweet things her daughters told her in the hospital on Friday:


Hannah: "Mom, can we make a time machine so we can slow down time and you'll make it home for Christmas?" she also said "Mom, I'll give you my heart so you can make it home for Christmas!"

Sunday, both girls bore their testimonies in Fast and Testimony meeting. Hannah shared that her reason for fasting was on behalf of her Mom, and (Hannah) knows Jesus died for each of us. Emmee said that she knew that "... her redeemer lives and that he came here so that each and every one of us could be together as a family forever."

Annie's opinion: I think that the courage these girls showed to not only go in front of a congregation to share their belief, but to do so in such an eloquent and reverent manner is a testament to the fantastic job of parenting by April and Eric.

We love you Eric and April and will continue to keep you in our prayers.

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT FOR APRIL AND ERIC AT THE COMMENTS SECTION OF THIS BLOG. ( even if you don't have an account you can post under the 'annonymous' title, just be sure to leave your name) APRIL AND ERIC WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU OUT THERE!!!! SO PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS ON THIS SITE.

36 comments:

kim/ Gramma Stokes said...

Oh April and Eric~ Our prayers are with you and we are praying everything will work out right for you both. We love you and just can't believe you are going through this!!! One would NEVER know you were a sick little girl, you put on such a perfect front. Whe Misty told us what was going on, I just couldn't believe it! You are so special and the sweetest person I know!! (And I know alot of persons!!)Your daughters words just about did me in, WOW I just cried!! Anyway girl~ You hang in there and you get better!! And that is an order from your 'adopted' mom (via Misty) Love you tons and am thinking about you every minute!
'mom' & John

Olivia W. said...

April, even though it's been years since we fell out of touch, the sweetness of your spirit has always remained strong in my memory. I am so glad we reconnected! Bob and I have you and your family in our prayers. I hope you will be home with your family for the holidays. We're sending out our love from Kansas tonight!

THE TOKI TRIBE said...

April...we are soo sad about this situation. I couldn't even imagine going through something like this. You are such a strong person and the nicest person I know!!! You better get better and get through this...I know you will. Good luck with everything, you will for sure be in our prayers.
Love, the Toki family!!

Amber said...

April and Eric: Ben and I have been praying for ever since we heard the news. I am so grateful for the impact you have had in our lives by showing us true courage in following the Lord, Jesus Christ despite pain and suffering. Thank you for being such all around beautiful people. P.S. If we can, we would love to come and see you at the hospital. Please take care of yourself.

Karynn said...

Oh, I'm so sorry you have to go through this. You are in my prayers, Apes. My heart aches for yours.
Thanks, Annie, for letting us all know and for such a beautiful post.

Shaw Family said...

April and Eric:

Our prayers our with each of you at this time in your lives. April you are a very special, sweet spirit and because of this you make everyone around you a better person. Your daughter's testimonies in church on Sunday were true evidence of what a wonderful home they are being raised in by great parents. Our thoughts and prayers will continue to be with you! Our Love!!

ChanFam6 said...

April and Eric,

I am always so touched by your beautiful daughters' testimonies. They are the sweetest spirits and I truly love them...yesterday was no exception! But, then what else could be expected with a mommy and daddy like you both. You have brought such a special spirit to our ward family and I hope you know how very thankful I am for you and your example. I appreciate Eric's time spent with the Young Men. Seth just idolizes his leaders and enjoys his activities so much, which for a teenage boy, that can be a rare thing. We are all praying for you and your family and anxiously awaiting your return to all of us!!

MUCH LOVE--Nicol, Joel and boys

Ryan, Kim, Tyler and Brooke said...

Wow April and Eric, I am so sorry that you are having to go through this. April, you truly are one of the strongest people that I know and we are praying for you to pull through this. You have been through so much in your life and if anybody can fight and prove everybody wrong, it's you! We love you guys so much and miss you like crazy. We are praying for you and your sweet family.

We love you!!!!
Ryan, Kim, Tyler & Baby girl

Bennions said...

April and Eric we will all pray for you and your girls. We love you and are always so impressed how you take on life with such a positive can do attitude as demonstrated by Eric's make shift bed. I loved hearing a piece of your girls testimonies and their love for you and the savior. What counts most you seem to understand and have passed on. TIf

Unknown said...

Tim & Susan Davis Family,
April & Eric~ Our thoughts and prayers are with you so much at this time. My mom works at the Temple tomorrow and I will be sure to have her put your name on the pryarer roll. Please let us know what else we can do to help your family. I can't help but think what a blessing to have Bro, Wilding as the ER doc. I am really expecting a visiting teaching visit this month--so you better get better. (I'm just kidding about the visit). I can't express my love for you and hope you know that we only want the best for you and your family. Susan

Munson Family said...

Hey April, Tell Eric, Aaron got ready on time, and Austin took him to the church right before 12:00, and he took bread with help from me telling him someone might forget. So that was taken care of the way Eric would want.I miss you April, and of course like Natalie Day I was jealous not to have seen you,but if you don't get home soon we may have to make a road trip with us girls and break in and see you. I thought of you as it snowed this morning and wondered if your girls were as excited as my kids were this morning. It is cleared up now and the snow has almost melted,but such excitement before school.Your eyes are going to be so tired from reading all your messages,you just have to many people who love and care about you and your family. I'm glad Annie is keeping your blog up. The pictures are great I love them. We love you!

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

To the best family I know- I am so grateful that you had your friend update your other friends. I had no idea what was going on...my heart hurts a little for you guys, but I know you are a stellar family, AND a phenomenal womam, so my hurts subsides a little in face of your awesomeness. Of course my prayers will be with all of you. The faith your daughters have in our Savior is a direct reflection on the faith you two have. Heavenly Father couldn't have made two better parents. My thoughts will continue to be with you and I look forward to hearing about your recovery! Love you tons. Larissa

Unknown said...

Hi April and Eric, Our prayers are with you and your family. We love you guys and can't believe all that has happened. Hang in ther and be the fighter we know you can be. Your family is amazing. I missed church yesterday but the first thing Chad said when he got home was how amazing your little ladies are. I t was good to hear that you are where they can take care of you the best and tha you are getting good care. Hang in there and if we can do anything to help please let us know. Love Chad and Jolene

The Reagles said...

April and Eric,

I just wanted to say how grateful we are that you are in our lives. You have been the best friends that anyone could ask for. You are truly amazing people. Thank you for making us want to be better people and sharing your lives with us. You are in our prayers and we think about you all day!
Hailey says " Tell April I love her and to give you medicine to get better now." As we are right nextdoor, please let us know if there is anything we can do for you or your family. We are here and ready top help! We wish you a quick recovery and know you will be home soon.

Love the Reagles

McEvoy Family said...

April and Eric-it seems like there isn't a break in trials for your sweet family. My heart and prayers go out to you. I am so sorry for all of the hard things your are going through. Hannah and Emmy are sooo lucky to have you for parents. I hope that things go as smoothly as possible and the medical personel will be able to make things better for you. I am constantly amazed by your positive attitude and love for everyone. You have made an impact on my life for sure. Much love, Tiff McEvoy

PS-I would love to make a trip (it's only an hour) if you need anything, let me know. I will send my # via email to be sure you have it! lol

Brooke & Ryan said...

April, You have touched my life in so many ways and I am so grateful that I had a chance to get to know you and be in a ward with you. I think you are the most spetacular mother. When ever I need a mothering-pick-me-up I think about what you would do and then I try to be a better mother. You are amazing! You are in our prayers.

Terri Frazier said...

April,
So heartbroken to learn of this trial you and your family are going through right now. You and your family are choice spirits to have to endure these things!!! I miss you when you are not in primary, sitting in front of me in sharing time! You are always so cheerful in spite of everything! Your primary kids miss you too, I know!! You are an inspiration to me and my family! We will continue to pray for you and your family until this trial is over! We love you! Terri Frazier and Family

Anonymous said...

Hi April and Eric
We love your sweet family! I was so impressed by the strength, depth and power of your girls' testimonies yesterday...certainly a tribute to your powerful teaching and example in their lives.
April, I am glad for the time we spent talking at Amber's house...I loved every minute of being with you. You are in my thoughts and prayers and I send my love to you.
Love, Debbie Bennion

Kam said...

April and Eric, You and your family are in my prayers. You have two very special little girls waiting at home for you. You are one tough cookie April. I love you and I hope the best for you. Keep smiling sweetie! Kam

Emily said...

April and family,
We are praying for you to be together again soon. Take care and keep thinking positive. You and your family are an inspiration to us all. I can't wait to see your smiling face again. Please get well soon!!
Love,
Emily

Lombardo Family said...

April & Eric, we just can't believe this. So sorry. April, you are in our thoughts and prayers as well as your whole family. We'll pray you make it home for Christmas.

Nicole said...

WOW, you both are loved so much! Thank you for sharing your friendship and love in the short six months that I have know you! You are in our prayers and your family is loved!

Andersons said...

How have I never stumbled onto your blog before? It's so great to read about your cute family. We're all praying for you and the doctors caring for you!

Tifferz said...

April and Eric-
You are in our thought and prayers! I am sure you will pull right out of this. You are such an awesome family. I know that Heavenly Father is watching over you and your family.
Love,
Tiffany, Mike and Family.

Malinda said...

Wow, what can I say to someone who has more strength, endurance and courage than I ever will in a lifetime! April, you are an amazing woman and I have loved seeing our ward come together for you and your family. I can't describe the strong spirit of unity that was felt on Sunday during Sacrament meeting. Your two little angels stand as a witness to what is taught in your home and the understanding they have of this life is more than 99% of the people in this world. Thank you for being such a strength to me and to our ward. We need more people like you! We pray for you every day and miss you dearly!

With all the love from the DeBry home,
Malinda

The Super Sanchez Family said...

we love you all.
arys always says, just outta the blue, "i miss april"
stanley wishes he could have an april kiss on one of his ginormous cheeks right now!
love the sanchez family

Anonymous said...

Our prayers are with you and your family. I cannot imagine the amount of strength that you, Eric and the girls are having to come up with. But I do know that you (April) are one of the strongest women I know. So, I bet your husband and your daughters are just as strong or stronger. We love you so much and pray for you often. Jeff, Heather and Fam

Liz W said...

April,
I have been thinking of you constantly since all this happened. Please know that we are praying for you, Eric and the girls. We all expect you to return home, smiling, bubbly, and especially healthy. Do exactly what your doctors say- that is an order. Get healthy and get home soon. We can't wait to see you. Thank you to you and your family for the great examples that they are. And especially to your girls, they are a true example of strength and love to all of us, but it is a great example to my children, so thank you for that. Take care. Love you.
Liz W.

Laura said...

April
I hope you are doing well. Our prayers are with your family. I wish I could come and see you. You are such a great friend and wonderful person. We love and miss you guys

Hawk Family said...

April and Family,

We are praying for you and we love you...

The Hawk Family

Lori said...

April,
I haven't talked to you in a while, but, have been following life through your blog. I am so sad to hear about your illness. I am praying for a miraculous solution to your problem! You are an amazingly tough woman. I am blown away by the things that you have had to endure in the last few years. Hang in there and know that I am thinking about you and your sweet family. Lori, NICU parent support, UVRMC

Carrie said...

I don't know how you do it, but if anybody can, it's you! You've always been an inspiration to me. Your family is in my prayers. Get well soon! I'll be in Utah next week, if you are still there I'd love to visit if at all possible.

Paige n' Kalani said...

April - Its been so long since I've seen or spoken to you. I've kept tabs on you via Lori at the NICU, Kim & Ryan, and on your blog. I have to say that I've always been so impressed by your strength and am even more so now. You are truely an amazing woman! Please know that my family is thinking about and praying for you. Paige (NICU parent support at UVRMC)

Karynn said...

Still thinking of you and missing your amazing presence. Please let me know what we can do for you.

Wolff said...

April and Eric,

We have been thinking about you everyday. I try to get an update from Kelly Reagles while we wait at the bus stop with our girls daily. You are in our prayers and hope that you will be able to return home soon and regain your strength! We miss you and hope to see your smiling face soon.
With Love,
The Wolff Family

Katydid said...

April- I found your blog. Tiff McEvoy Had it. Yes I was blog stocking. Hope you remember me and don't think I am some crazy person. I am one of the NICU nurses who got to enjoy you and your family when Caleb was here. I can't believe it has been so long! I remember him the night he was born, such fight he had in him, such personality. I never knew you were sick, of course because you are always focused on everyone else. You always make sure that everyone else is ok and happy before yourself. I remember quite distinctly the day you found out about Calebs PVL. I knew it was a shock to the system but I couldn't help but think to myself... If anyone could do it, you could. You just have that love and patience and are just an amazing person and now another challenge and you look like you are battling through and holding your head up well. You are one of God's strongest. You know the saying that God only gives you what you can handle. You have fought through so much and you are such an example. Just wanted to say thank you so much for the opportunity to meet you and your family. Love those girls! They have grown so much. Love you. Katie Emerson