Friday, October 17, 2008

An Attitude of Gratitude, Week #1



Several months ago I heard a talk during Stake Conference, unfortunately I cannot remember who the speaker was, but he said that everything that our children know about the gospel comes from us as parents. Not from their primary teachers and friends, but from us. I am not sure if it is because my health has been so poor lately, or because it seems like my children are growing up so quickly, but I have felt such a huge sense of urgency to make sure that my children understand what it is that we as a family stand for. What a testimony is, and how important it is to KNOW what it is that they believe in, and where true happiness comes from. I think so often that we hear so much of what is wrong in this world that we forget that we are also living in a time where great and miraculous things continue to happen every day and how truly blessed we as a people are. In an effort to teach by example, (something that I am not very good at) we have been really working as a family on having an Attitude of Gratitude. I don't know if I feel that we always express how grateful we are for our many blessings as often as we should. So, I have decided that every week for the next 52 weeks, I am going to focus on one thing that I am grateful for. This week for week #1, I would like to express how grateful I am for the blessings of the temple. I am grateful for the assurances that I have the opportunity to be united with my family for eternity, and the knowledge that one day I will hold my sweet son Caleb and sweet daughter Aubrey in my arms once again. I am honored to be sealed with my sweetheart and bestest friend, and to have the feelings and blessing of peace that comes with the knowledge that I can be with those that I hold most dear forever. I am grateful to live so close to the Boise temple, and for how easy it is for me to attend regularly. So in closing, today I am feeling very blessed for the joy and peace that has touched my life because of the blessings of the Temple. The above picture is a picture of the Oakland, CA temple, where Eric and I were married. Isn't it beautiful!

P.S. If anyone would like to join me in my little project, I would love to hear some of the things that you are grateful for as well!

6 comments:

Munson Family said...

I was also effected by one of the talks given in Confrence about gratitude.We have talked a lot about this in Family Home Evening.I will take on your challenge.Your a sweet lady.

Annie said...

Wow!! Thanks for th cry this morning. I will take on your challenge as well. I am also greatful for the temple. I know that because of Gods great plan we can be together forever. You are wonderful FAMILY and we are so greatful for you friendship. This challenge is somwthing I really needed. love ya like a sister!!

The Stokes Family said...

Thank you Apes! I am so greatful for so many things but I don't let my children or others hear it as much as I should. Thank you for all you teach me and for what a support you are in my life!!!

Bennions said...

A friend of mine was telling me about studies on the brain and how they found that people who were grateful had a different brain. Being grateful actually changes your brain. I thought WOW I hope my brain reflects an attitude of gratitude. Later on in a talk given by our stake president he spoke of how generosity also affects our brains. So, hopefully when it is all said and done you will be able to tell from our brains how grateful and generous we have become. Great idea April. Tif

Karynn said...

Oh, beautiful! I'm in. I need to focus on the good.

ChanFam6 said...

April & Clan,
I always am amazed at the love your family radiates. You are truly one of my favorite families ever. I love your daughters' testimonies, I love their smiles and it just reflects what great parents they have. I looked at the pictures from that photographer that took your pictures and cried the whole time. What a beautiful service...and your family photos are just priceless. Thank you for sharing your joys and sorrows and for being such a fantastic example for me. I hope when I grow up (HAHA) I can be like you. Really, I mean that. You are FABULOUS!!